If you’re tired of teeth that look dull and discoloured, you can take advantage of the various whitening options available at 123 Dental. We provide patients with the choice between ‘Zoom!’ In-Surgery Whitening System and take-home professional whitening treatments.
We’ve created a guide to these popular teeth whitening options so you can understand the differences between both and make the best decision for you.
The Zoom! In-Surgery Whitening System
Zoom! is a tooth whitening treatment that has proved to be hugely popular recently. Zoom! functions by whitening both the dentine and tooth enamel. This is an in-chair teeth whitening treatment that can make teeth upwards of eight full shades lighter than before.
The Zoom Whitening process generally takes around one and a half hours. Here is what to expect during Zoom Whitening:
- Your dentist will protect your lips and gums with a special resin.
- Your dentist will then apply whitening gel directly on the enamel of your teeth.
- A UV light is then used to activate the whitening gel by deconstructing the formula’s hydrogen peroxide.
- When activated, the oxygen in the formula penetrates through the surface of the teeth to noticeably whiten them by dissolving stains.
- The formula is activated with the UV light several times until treatment is complete.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening
Take-home teeth whitening is an alternative to treatments such as Zoom! that are completed at our dental practice. Our professional take-home whitening kits offer effective whitening capabilities from the convenience of your home.
Here is what to expect if you opt to purchase a take-home whitening kit for your teeth:
- We start the process by taking a mould of your teeth.
- This mould allows us to produce custom-fitting whitening trays that are made exclusively for your teeth.
- Patients are also provided with compact syringes that contain bleach.
- You need to dispense the bleach inside your trays, as directed by your dentist.
- These trays are then placed on your teeth for the bleach to take effect.
- Patients are generally instructed to keep these trays in place overnight.
- After wearing the trays, it’s important to thoroughly rinse your teeth and the trays to remove all remnants of the bleach.
Zoom Vs. Take Home Whitening Kits
Deciding between Zoom! and take-home teeth whitening can be difficult. Here, we’ll break down the main differences between in-chair teeth whitening with Zoom and take-home whitening kits.
The key differences are:
- Zoom! teeth whitening treatment takes place at our dental practice.
- Zoom! can provide people with faster white teeth. The bleaching gel used in dental practices typically consists of stronger peroxide concentrations, meaning that it can deconstruct stains more quickly. Take-home treatments involve a more gradual whitening process.
- Take-home treatments can be cheaper and done in your own time.
- Take-home treatments can be used as a whitening ‘top-up’ every now and then.
Benefits of In-Chair Teeth Whitening with Zoom
The benefits of Zoom! In-Chair Teeth Whitening include:
- Safe — Professional in-chair whitening completed by a dentist is the safest teeth whitening option. Your dentist understands exactly how to work with the bleaching solution in a safe, effective way and can minimise issues such as sensitivity.
- Quick — If you need the fastest way to whiten teeth, Zoom in-office whitening is the clear choice. In less than two hours, you can have a refreshed, white smile.
- Long-Lasting Results — Zoom teeth whitening will provide the longest lasting results compared to other whitening methods.
- Efficient — Your dentist will ensure you are a good candidate for Zoom in-chair teeth whitening. This professional teeth whitening treatment is one of the most effective, fastest options available to get you a bright, white smile you’ll want to show off.
Benefits of Take-Home Whitening Kits
The benefits of professional take-home teeth whitening kits include:
- Convenient — With a take-home kit, you can whiten your teeth on your time from the comfort of your own home. Although take-home kits provide more gradual results than in-chair whitening, many people enjoy the convenience provided by an at-home whitening kit.
- Cost-effective — Take-home teeth whitening kits are more affordable than in-chair whitening.
- Able to be customised — Take-home teeth whitening kits can be customised to your needs. Your dentist will advise you on the best kit for your level and type of staining and create personalised whitening trays that match the exact contours of your mouth.
- Easy-to-use — Take-home teeth whitening kits are extremely user-friendly. Once your dentist creates your custom whitening trays, you’ll simply place the whitening gel from the syringes into your trays and wear them overnight or for the designated amount of time.
Should I Select Zoom! or Take-Home Teeth Whitening?
Choosing between in-office teeth whitening and take-home teeth whitening will come down to your individual preference. There is no one right answer, but the following questions may help you decide between these two popular teeth-whitening options:
- What is your schedule like?
- Do you need your teeth whitened as fast as possible or before a big event?
- What is your teeth whitening budget?
- Do you struggle with tooth sensitivity?
- Do you feel more comfortable leaving the treatment in the hands of your dentist?
- Do you enjoy the idea of whitening your teeth at home on your own time?
If you’re looking for the fastest teeth whitening option, Zoom may be the ideal solution for your cosmetic dentistry needs. If you want to save money on teeth whitening but still get great results, you may want to consider a personalised take-home teeth whitening kit.
If you are still unsure if in-office or take-home teeth whitening is the right option for you, please contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss these teeth whitening options with you to help you decide.
Can I Combine Zoom! With Take-Home Teeth Whitening?
At-home whitening can be an excellent complement to in-chair whitening. At-home whitening kits can help maintain your in-chair whitening results for longer. Your dentist will advise you on the best whitening treatment plan for you.
How Long Will Professional Teeth Whitening Results Last?
Your professional teeth whitening results should last for several months or longer following treatment. Since tooth enamel is porous, stain particles from everyday foods and drinks will gradually begin to discolour teeth again over time.
How Can I Maintain My Teeth Whitening Results?
Following a good oral hygiene routine and seeing your dentist for regular checkups can help maintain your teeth whitening results for as long as possible. You can also ask your dentist about using a professional take-home teeth whitening kit for maintenance.
You can help prevent teeth staining by rinsing your mouth with water throughout the day, drinking enough water, using a straw to drink darker liquids, and limiting your consumption of beverages such as red wine and coffee.
How Often Can I Whiten My Teeth?
It is important to use any whitening products as directed so you do not experience side effects. Whitening your teeth too often can lead to sensitivity and other unwanted effects.
If you frequently drink tea, red wine, or coffee, you may need whitening touch-ups more often. Your dentist can discuss the best whitening schedule for your needs or help if you are experiencing sensitivity issues.
Can Professional Teeth Whitening Remove All Types of Stains?
Both take-home and in-chair teeth whitening can effectively remove almost all types of tooth staining and provide dramatic results.
For especially deep staining, your dentist may recommend an in-chair whitening treatment over a take-home kit, or a combination of both.
While professional teeth whitening can remove almost all staining, certain types of stains do not respond well to whitening. For instance, internal staining from defects, trauma, or medications is difficult to treat. Your dentist will carefully evaluate your stains and determine the best treatment option.
If your stains will not respond to whitening treatment or if you are not a good candidate for professional teeth whitening, your dentist will discuss bleaching alternatives with you, such as veneers or crowns.
Professional Teeth Whitening Kits vs. Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Products
It is possible to find a wide range of over-the-counter teeth whitening products. However, these products do not compare to the quality and strength of a take-home kit from your dentist.
If you compare a take-home whitening kit from your dentist to an over-the-counter kit, the ingredients may seem the same but the active whitening ingredients in the store-bought kit will be lower. Only your dentist can provide you with professional-grade whitening gels.
The stronger concentration of active ingredients in the take-home whitening kit will produce quicker, more dramatic results. While over-the-counter teeth whitening kits are more affordable initially, it will take you several kits to achieve the same results as a single whitening kit from your dentist.
Contact 123 Dental for Teeth Whitening
Do you want brighter, whiter teeth? 123 Dental is ready to help you enjoy the healthy, white smile you want.
Whether you want an in-office teeth whitening treatment or prefer a take-home teeth whitening treatment, we provide both of these convenient, effective options. Our skilled, caring team can help you decide which teeth whitening option is ideal for your smile, budget, and schedule.
Along with professional teeth whitening, we offer a range of services to cover all of your general and cosmetic dentistry needs. Contact us with any questions or to request a consultation in our West Leederville practice. Your teeth will thank you for it!