Many of us are too nervous or too afraid to visit the dentist because we are fearful of dental procedures. By using sedation, we can overcome the traumas of dentistry. If you’ve been putting off years of dental work, sedation dentistry can change your life!
Following are three types of sedation:
1) Nitrous Oxide + Oxygen Sedation or “happy gas” is the most frequently used sedation method in dentistry. It is simply a gas which you breathe in; it’s colourless, sweet-smelling and non-irritating.
2) Premedication is administered by taking prescribed tablets prior to your examination.
3) Penthrox (inhalation anaesthesia sedation)
4) I.V. Sedation also known as “deep conscious sedation”. With this type of sedation medications are administered directly into the bloodstream by a qualified anaesthetist.
5) General anaesthesia can be performed at a day hospital should the need arise.